Thursday, May 21, 2009

And the Winner Is...Part Deux

Welcome back to Get Real! Tonight is the finale of American Idol. I’m postponing the first blog on Make Me a Supermodel to tomorrow since this will be a long episode!
So, let’s get on with the show! The show opened with a little intro and thanks for all the judges. Uh, why are Kris and Adam clad in all white? It looks a little weird and I am thinking that a really hideous and cringe-worthy duet is coming on.

Oh no, even worse…a group performance from the Top13! Ugh, please make it stop! My eyes are scared and my ears are not enjoying this fake Mickey Mouse Club-variety-show performance. And why are they singing Pink’s “So What?” If this is what’s to be expected from the Idol tour then this is not make me want to jump up a buy a ticket.
The most recent AI alum, David Cook, gave a performance and this was definitely more the vein I saw him going in from the beginning. It was his best single so far and was incredibly heartfelt with everything he has gone through lately with the death of his brother.

Um…the Golden Idol Awards?! Really? What is all this nonsense to fill two hours?? Why not just make it half an hour and announce it already? At least it brought back Normal Gentle for us! Because that could certainly never be a bad thing! Ha, and Ryan wearing those glasses and headband was a little like Little Miss Sunshine.

Alright, this is going to be a blog of complaints. I love me some Queen Latifah, don’t get me wrong, but why are we watching her perform with Lil Rounds? Why isn’t it with either Kris or Adam? Shouldn’t it be about them?? And this performance only solidified for me why Lil didn’t make it father in this competition because she just cannot perform at all! Maybe I wouldn’t mind this whole performance if it was just Queen Latifah and no Lil. In fact, take away the maybe and that statement would be true.

Anoop and Alexis came out to sing Jason Mraz’s “I’m Yours” and I was pleasantly surprised to have Jason himself come out to perform! But I couldn’t have done without Alexis, Anoop, and the remaining top 13 perform with him during my favorite Jason Mraz song.

Next was the journey of Kris Allen. I didn’t even know who this kid was before the Top 13 since he was hardly ever featured before the Top 36. Unlike the other performances up to this point, I actually enjoyed Kris’s performance with Keith Urban. This actually seems like something you could see on the Grammys, or maybe the Country Music Awards. But for someone who is not a country artist, the song further showed Kris’s versatility and skill as a musician. And can I just say that Nicole Kidman is one lucky woman to be married to Mr. Urban!

Then all the girls flounced around on stage and performed Fergie’s “Glamorous” before introducing the duchess herself where she broke into “Big Girls Don’t Cry.” This performance just made me miss Allison and Alexis even more as they were the only girls in the competition who were could enough to really be credible in the competition. Though, I did like Megan Joy and just felt that she had poor song choices since her voice is so unique and can only sing certain songs. Then, surprise! The other members of the Black Eyed Peas came out and performed their latest single “Boom Boom Pow.” I love that this group sounds so much the same live as they do on the radio. They really know how to perform and are an incredibly talented group. Love them!

Now, another Golden Idol Award and really?! This was just another excuse for Bikini Girl to come out and flaunt her new boobs, spray tan, and dyed hair. Ryan actually made a funny and relevant joke, too, at her expense! And, oh no… they are going to let her sing again?! No no no! This is like a bad karaoke night until Kara came out and sang the same song that the two fought over to show off her own singing chops and that she actually knows what she’s talking about as a judge. AND she revealed her own bikini body! Who knew Kara was so hot and such a good singer?! Good for her!

So, we’re into the second hour and no results! But, we were graced with a performance from Allison and Cindi Lauper! And man, do I wish Allison could have sang “Time After Time” on the show ‘cause she killed it! This performance was amazing. Here’s to hoping that Allison was get signed somewhere after this show because she could definitely sell some records.

Up next to perform was Danny Gokey and music icon Lionel Richie. At least we don’t need to deal with the smug smile of satisfaction that Danny gave while waiting for the judges’ comments after each performance while on the show. Surprisingly, Lionel’s and Danny’s voices blended better than I thought they would. And we got to see Paula dancing which was something I feel was missing for a few weeks. Oh, Paula! And thought I am not the biggest Gokey fan, you can’t help but want to dance and sing along to “All Night Long!”

Adam’s journey was next. He was a front runner from the very beginning. Though from the first time he appeared on the show and mentioned being in Wicked, I haven’t been able to shake his theatricalness. And speaking of, what is up with his costume?! It’s like a mix of a new age David Bowie from The Labyrinth. Or maybe that’s just me wanting to make a David Bowie reference and express my love for him! Or maybe it was in reference to KISS!! I cannot believe that they got KISS to perform on American Idol! And Adam killed it for sure. But this only makes me feel more and more that Adam needs to be front a band and not be a solo artist! This is perfect for him and he is so natural in this type of setting. Part of me wishes Adam was older and could have auditioned for RockStar INXS instead.

Eeek! I don’t know if it showed for everyone but I just saw a trailer for the new Harry Potter movie! It looks soooo good and I can’t wait!

Carlos Santana was the next musician to take the stage and man, he is just so good. And to make it even better, Matt Giraud got his little solo in there before the rest of the Top 13 joined him onstage for a group performance of “Smooth.”

Oh no, just as I was getting used to the group performances, it was time for the last Ford music video. Ugh! Thank goodness these are done and we don’t need to go through these anymore.

What a joy! Steve Martin performing with Megan Joy Corkrey (oh, and Michael Sarver, eh…). Megan looked beautiful and this song was perfect for her voice! This is the type of music she is meant to sing.

Why, oh, why, are we subjected to a performance of “Do You Think I’m Sexy?” Okay, I get that it’s meant to be a set-up for Rod Stewart but it was a little painful. What wasn’t painful was Rod singing his classic “Maggie May.”

Oh man, the last Golden Idol for best Outstanding Female. Now you know it’s going to be Tatiana Del Toro. I am cringing at the thought of hearing her laugh and sing again. Ugh, and there it is. Why must Fox insist on giving these people more attention?! And, were they really running low on time? Because if so, then maybe that’s a hint that you shouldn’t give out stupid awards like this and WASTE time!!

Lastly, before the final results, we get a duet between the final two, Adam and Kris. And what do they sing? Queen’s “We are the Champions!” Aww, how appropriate, however biased towards Adam it is.

FINALLY, the results! And the winner is…HOLY SMOKES! It’s KRIS ALLEN!! Well, perhaps America thought the same as I did. I almost feel a little bad for Kris because there is so much shock around him winning that the results and reactions were a little underwhelming compared to past seasons. I’m happy Kris won and I think that Adam will be just fine.

Congratulations Kris Allen on being crowned the next American Idol.

Next up on Get Real, tonight's episode of Make Me a Supermodel, The Fashion Show and the premiere of So You Think You Can Dance. Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment