Monday, May 11, 2009

DWTS - Semifinals

Tonight was the nail-biting Semifinals of Dancing With the Stars. As usual, co-host Samantha Harris was pointless and a waste of time and space on the show, only this week she had the unnatural glow of a traffic cone. Luckily Tom Bergeron is there to make witty transitions and tie everything together. The four remaining couples had their dancing shoes put to the test and as each pair had to perform both a ballroom and a latin dance. BUT before we could get to any real dancing, nearly half an hour was spent with play-by-play commentary of the couples talking about their "best" dancers. Boring! Already being 45 mins late to starting the show, I should have just fast forwarded throughall this and caught up by the end. Finally we got to the dancing and...


First up was The Bachelor star Melissa Rycroft and her partner Tony Dovolani. This week, she tackled the Quick Step and the Cha Cha. Melissa's Quick Step was reminscent of old Hollywood glamour straight out of a 1930's musical. Len called it "Gorgeous" whereas Carrie Ann blasted the bachelorette, saying that the dance didn't come from her soul. She scored a total of 28 with a ten from Len, and nines from Carrie Ann and Bruno. Next, she danced the the Cha Cha. The result was a little like Gene Kelly meets the gypsies. I admit it was a little boring but still good. She ended up with a good 27, leaving her with a total of 56 out of 60 for the evening.


Second to go was Gilles Marini and his stellar partner Cheryl Burke. Gilles' two dances were the Waltz and the Salsa. I have to admit Gilles was at the top of his game tonight. During his Waltz, set to the Norah Jones tune of "Come Away with Me," I felt almost a little voyeuristic. It was so intimate and romantic, as if they were two people expressing their love for each other through dance and no one was in the room but them. It came as no shock when the judges rewarded them a perfect 30. His second dance was a Salsa, which I fully expected him to excel in. Naturally, Gilles and Cheryl moved across the dance floor seemlessly and oozed sexuality. Bruno even quipped "Lil' Kim is alive and well and living in your pants!" The pair earned their second perfect 30 of the night, putting them at the top with a 60 out of 60.


Next on the dance floor was olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson and my favorite pro, Mark Ballas. Shawn was given the task of completing the Argentine Tango and the Jive. From Mark's clockwork orange-like guyliner to Shawn's ultra sultry dress, it was clear that the duo were planning to hit the Argentine Tango head-on. The performance was mature and Chicago-esque, leading Bruno to naming the pint-sized gymnast "Catherine Zeta-Shawn." With the audience and judges equally loving the dance, the pair won the coveted perfect 30. Shawn then had to dance the Jive and it was, unfortunately, a little less that peppy. Though super cute, it was a little sloppy and Mark did not look happy during the judges' comments. Ultimately, they couple dropped down to a 26 from the less than jumpin' Jive, leaving them with a 56 out of 60 to tie Melissa and Tony.


Last to dance (perhaps not just for the night?) was last week's salvaged duo, rodeo cowboy Ty Murray and SYTYCD alum Chelsie Hightower. Ty and Chelsie first took on the Viennese Waltz, which was a good first dance for the team. Ty has been known for his good frame and natural rise and falls. However, it was a little too end-of-Disney-movie/"Enchanted" for me. Ty was too jerky and the dance lacked any romance, looking more like a brother-sister dance at a wedding. The couple received a 25 for the dance. Finally, Ty was confronted with the dreaded Samba. And let me tell you, I was dreading it. Though it was definitely a poor display of the sexy Samba, it was clear that this was the best that Ty could do and that just made me smile the entire time. Neither Chelsie nor Ty seemed disappointed with their low score of 23 or their final score of 48 out of 60.


So, my predictions for the results show and who will make it to the finals?

  • Melissa and Tony - I do love Melissa and I am so glad that she has bounced back from that awful Bachelor ending. She clearly deserves to make it to the finals and dance again. And as much as I want her to win it all, because I like her and she's clearly a good dancer, I think she has already won in her own right. All Bachelor fans wanted to see her come out that on a good note and she has now proven that she has. Ultimately, she will make it to the finals.
  • Gilles and Cheryl - I was never the biggest fan of Gilles, mostly because I felt he coasted on his sexiness for too long. However, after tonight, he shed all of that (not literally, thankfully...or perhaps unfortunately?) and it was clear that he was passionate about the competition and winning. He will definitely make it to the finals.
  • Shawn and Mark - They have been my favorite from Day 1. Perhaps that's just because I love the olympics and Shawn is just so dang cute. But she has also shown so much growth both in talent but also as a person that she clearly deserves to make it to the finals. Besides, doesn't anyone else want to see what kind of tricks she will do in the Freestyle dance?!
  • Ty and Chelsie - I love both Ty and Chelsie. Ty is so lovable and just so cute. He makes you want him to do well. Chelsie was one my faves from SYTYCD and her performance with Mark is the only reason I can stand Leona Lewis's "Bleeding Love." However, these two should not make it to the finals. It was surprising when they bested Lil' Kim but I don't think they have another upset in them.

Up next on Get Real: American Idol, The Biggest Loser Finale, and DWTS results show. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment