Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Foodie Fraternizing and Dancing Memories

Welcome back to Get Real! First on our plate is Top Chef Masters followed by a helping of So You Think You Can Dance.

On Top Chef Masters, we are getting another step closer to The Champions Round. This week’s chefs were Jonathan Waxman from New York, Art Smith from Chicago, Michael Cimarusti from Los Angeles, and Roy Yamaguchi from Honolulu.

Now, I am going to play favorites here and root for Roy! C’mon, he’s Japanese, I have to root for him!

The chefs received their Quick Fire Challenge and it was touch! They could shop in only one aisle at Whole Foods and could only spend $20! Art had the grains aisle, Roy had the pasta aisle, Michael had the pastry aisle, and Jonathan had the international foods aisle. Michael walked away with a total of 5 stars and won the Quick Fire Challenge.

For their Elimination Challenge, the chefs shopped for each other, so it would be a mystery as to what kind of items each chef would get. Michael and Jonathan shopped for each other, leaving Art and Roy to shop for each other. All of the chefs were very nice to each other when they were shopping for their ingredients. Hmm, this could be a close race in the end!

Jonathan ended up with 20 stars in the end, which beat out Roy’s 15 stars. Bummer! Art pulled away with the win with 22 Stars and the last space in The Champions Round. I gotta say that this was so cute seeing how these chefs were so buddy-buddy with each other!

We’re getting closer to the Top 4 dancers on So You Think You Can Dance because now we only have 8 dancers left! The dancers were given new partners and two new styles. Ooh, and sitting on the judging panel this week with Mary and Nigel were Mia Michaels (yay!) and Ellen DeGeneres!! So exciting!

The Top 8 all got to dance a Travis Wall piece that I’m sure will just be fantastic! Oh, it was just a basket of goodness! It was futuristic and contemporary and fast and crazy.

Alright, now Ellen’s commentary is just silly and funny but I love, love, love it. She is so hilarious.

Evan chose Janette as his new partner and they were doing a Sonya Jazz piece! Oh, I love Sonya. I think it was a little S&M in a PG kinda way. I love Evan so much but I don’t think that he was crisp enough in his movements for this piece. What I wouldn’t give to see Mark from last season do this piece!

Kayla did her solo next and she had to go after hearing Mia say that Janette was her favorite of the season. I liked Kayla’s solo and I feel like she is finally coming out of her shell with her personality, and I like it.

The second couple was Brandon & Jeanine. They did a Waltz by Hunter Johnson. We have never seen Jeanine do something elegant! It was very pretty but I don’t think that it was the best waltz. I expected more lifts because Brandon is so strong. This makes me sad because I love Jeanine so much and she is my favorite female dancer but I don’t like Brandon so I’m okay if people don’t like him. Hehe.

Jason was the first male solo and I just love watching him dance. He is so interesting and beautiful. I don’t know if I was so much loving his super skinny jeans…how did he wear those and dance in them, by the way?!

Ade chose his partner next and he was reunited with Melissa! Yay!! They were given a Cha Cha with Tony Meredith.

It was interesting because there were some slow parts to it that I wasn’t expecting in a Cha Cha. I am just so happy to have this couple back together! It wasn’t the best dance from these two but I am just excited to see their next dance.

The next solo was from Janette. And she chose not to do a Salsa solo which was a little strange. She did a semi-contemporary dance to a Celine Dion song. Weird. That could maybe cost her a bit.

The last remaining couple possibility, Jason & Kayla, took the stage next with a Tyce Diorio Broadway routine. Ooh, it was great. It was a wonderful little showcase of Broadway. This was a wonderful pairing.

Ade’s solo was next and he is so kooky. And man does he get some height on his jumps! What a cutie.

Oh no, Janette & Evan had the Rumba next. Hmm, I am not sure about this. I don’t know if Evan can be realistic in a Rumba! Ooh, and they used Kris Allen’s version of Heartless! Hmm, Evan was surprisingly more convincing than I expected him to be! Oh, and Ellen and Mia said the nicest things to Evan and it was so sweet and made me tear up. That’s how I feel, too! I love him and always will!

Ooh, Melissa did an interesting ballet solo to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs! I loved it! It was like good ballerina gone bad. It’s like something you would see in a dance movie where the ballerina brings new styles to her audition routine. I actually wanted it to keep going and didn’t want it to end!

Jeanine & Brandon got a Pop Jazz routine from Making the Band crazy choreographer Laurieann Gibson. I almost wish this was just a solo for Jeanine because she was totally feeling it. She totally made Brandon seem like he was in the background. I barely even knew he was there! It was really great and it made me realize how much I missed Laurieann’s “boom boom kats!”

Cutie Evan did the most precious solo. It’s true that no one can dance the same as him and he is so unique in what he does.

Then Jeanine took on her solo and oh, it was fantastic! I definitely didn’t want it to end and it was something so special from her! I loved it.

Melissa & Ade took the stage next and they tackled an emotional Contemporary routine by Tyce Diorio. The story was a woman living with Breast Cancer and what her friend does for her. I can’t even say anything because it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It just had everyone crying, me included.

Brandon performed the last solo of the evening. It was pretty powerful but it showed his arrogance so I can’t like it!

And the last performance of the night was Kayla & Jason doing a Shane Sparks Hip Hop routine. Yay for Shane being back! Jason was playing a zombie trying to get his zombie mistress. I think Jason really excelled in this piece and Shane gave some incredible choreography.


Next up on Get Real, the finale of The Fashion Show and the 100th episode of So You Think You Can Dance! Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment