
Let’s get started on The Fashion Show.
After last week’s upset with Reco not being sent home, I don’t know what to think this week. This week’s Harper's Bazaar mini-challenge had something to do with baby blue satin robes from Saks Fifth Avenue. The designers would need to design loungewear to go along with the Fernando Sanchez robe. Personally, I don’t really understand luxury loungewear. Just wear some comfy shorts and a tank top! What’s the use for pastel, satiny shorts or skirts or tops? Anna won the challenge! Yay! It was clearly the best of the designs and I’m glad it was recognized.
The designers were then told to go to 53 W 29th Street and this is definitely not your area of high fashion. They were at a Psychic! Each designer got a Tarot reading. Johnny was told that he would be travelling and that he needs to be more playful. Reco pulled the Four of Pentacles and was told he needed to get out of restraint and to breakthrough. Daniella was told to believe in her own creativity and uniqueness. James-Paul got the High Priestess and was told to be more practical. Anna was told to incorporate her love of nature and colors in her designs. Merlin pulled the six of swords, like Johnny, and was told that there was competition between them.
Then the designers got their elimination challenge theme: to create a design inspired by the meaning of their card. I’m kind of interested in seeing how this turns out.
Vivienne Tam, a designer, was the guest judge this week, along with panel staples Fern Mallis, Kelly and Isaac. The top two designs from this week are by Reco and Anna. I personally love Anna’s dress (surprise, haha) and though I don’t think I could personally wear it, I can see women everywhere would want to wear and it would be something I would be so jealous of if I saw it at a party. Reco’s suit was interesting but I personally didn’t like the piping. I can see that it was well done and added something nice to the suit but I just don’t like and can’t imagine any of my friends wearing it. If the pants didn’t have the piping, then it would be okay because then I think it would have made the jacket hat much more special. I hope they didn’t give Reco the win because of his bounce back from last week. But they just seem to love him. Oh, but Anna won! Hooray!
The bottom two designs were from Merlin and James-Paul. Looks like Johnny isn’t travelling anywhere soon. I think James-Paul’s outfit was horrible. It was his worst outfit so far and was completely gross. I don’t think it looked at all. And I hated how the zipper to the skirt was on the front of it. That was all I could concentrate on when she was facing front. And then the back was a whole other mess. Merlin’s outfit was a little cute, especially the jacket. But I don’t really know people who would wear the sweat suit. If I could wear yellow, I would consider buying his coat because it was cute.While the judges deliberated, Reco, Merlin, and James-Paul pow-wowed and complained about how Merlin and James-Paul were in the bottom. And Merlin basically told Johnny that his dress sucked and that he isn’t a good enough designer. Now, I know I said I hated Johnny in the beginning and thought he was gross, but he is growing on me now. I can see now that he wants to be here and is not just playing around. In the end, Merlin was sent home and I have to say I agree.
Now for the top 14 on So You Think You Can Dance!

Tonight’s guest judge was the fabulous Mia Michaels! And she joined regulars Nigel and Mary. The only bad thing about Mia being on the judges panel is that it means there are no Mia Michaels routines on the show! Sadness. Unfortunately, Mia did admit that her opinion of Brandon has changed, which of course bothers me like none other because I still hate him.
And speaking of Brandon, he and his partner, Janette, were first up for tonight dancing a Cha Cha. Now, since Janette is a Latin ballroom dancer, I expect her to be good at this. Naturally, this upsets me because I am just waiting for the week where these two suck and can finally be in the bottom and hopefully go home. I don’t think my hopes will be met this week. Ok, I need to make a confession. I think I am starting to like Janette better. She is warming up to me but I still find the pair of them a little arrogant. I think once I see Janette do contemporary I can know for sure whether or not I like her. Of course, it was a good routine and they did well. And they were on the Hot Tamale Train. They will probably be safe. Lame.
Kayla & Kūpono were next with a Contemporary routine choreographed by the amazing Sonya! Oh goodness, it’s a vampire theme! Aah, Sonya is speaking to the very core of my heart! I really love this new pair. I think they are a fantastic couple and they pair each other so well. It was such a wonderful routine and I don’t really think that Sonya can do anything wrong at all! Love it!One of my fave couples, Evan & Randi, danced a Joey Dowling Broadway routine next. I knew that Evan should kill this since he is like the epitome of old Hollywood and Broadway. I could only assume that Randi would step up to the plate, too, since she has down so well. But I also worry that the judges would expect them to do well and end up expecting more from this duo. Ooh, it was like such a dark and sinister Sweet Charity that I had never seen before! It was so Fosse but also so modern and creepy. How wonderful. Points for me! Nigel was disappointed in Evan. Whatever, Nigel.
Caitlin & Jason followed up with a Pop/Jazz routine from Brian Freedman. Oh, what a special and fantastic piece this was! It was so strange but beautiful and intricate and strange and so many things! And I totally thought that Caitlin just came out of her shell and really got into the performance. Personally, I loved it. I think the judges didn’t appreciate the piece for what it was. And of course it wasn’t going to be something that every audience member was going to understand but can you blame the dancers for that! They danced it will and had me watching every second of it.
Fan faves Jeanine & Phillip delved into Phillip’s genre: Hip Hop…with Tabitha and Napoleon! One thing I just love about this couple is their synchronicity! They are always completely together on their routines and it’s so wonderful! And Jeanine has been a wonderful surprise in this partnership. I am so interested in seeing this couple do Contemporary because I think that Jeanine can really do anything at all but I am not sure how Phillip can continue to keep up. I think this couple will be safe, for sure!Oh, Melissa & Ade are so lucky that they are the ones who got the Pas de Deux. Or, perhaps, all the other couples are lucky that they didn’t get the Pas de Deux! Melissa’s experience in Ballet and Ade’s ability to be a fantastic partner will no doubt be the perfect pairing for this dance. The choreographer was Thordal Christensen, who gave them Romeo and Juliet to dance to. Oh, it was so cute to see Melissa’s excitement to be doing this piece. And she seemed so young and childlike, just like Juliet should be. This couple does no wrong in my eyes! Love it! Love it.
Newest couple (and probably not for long), Karla & Vitolio, took on a Jean-Marc Généreux Quick Step to end the show. Why couldn’t it just end with Melissa & Ade?? But no. We had to see these two, who have only had one good routine each, at the end. Hmm, surprising, they did well! I don’t know that it will be enough to keep them out of the bottom, though.
Next up on Get Real, the results of So You Think You Can Dance. Stay tuned :)
No comments:
Post a Comment