Monday, June 29, 2009

Fashion Icons and Dancing Bygones

Welcome back to Get Real! Much like any Thursday evening, it’s another episode of The Fashion Show and the results of So You Think You Can Dance!


This week on The Fashion Show, the designers jumped right in to the Harper’s Bazaar mini-challenge. They were all challenged on fashions greatest, legendary designers such as Chanel, Dior, and Yves St. Laurent. Once again, Anna was the winner. Hooray! As part of her win, she will get a “serious” advantage during the elimination challenge.

All of the designers met Isaac and Kelly on the runway to find out about their elimination challenge. Naturally, it had something to do with their mini-challenge as they would have to design an outfit inspired by one of the seven designers they were quizzed on earlier in the day. They were a shown rare, vintage dress from each of the seven icons that they would draw inspiration from but were told that they also needed to bring in their own design aesthetic to the dress.

And, surprise, Anna was the one to choose which of the contestants got which of the legendary designers. Anna chose Coco Chanel. YSL went to Haven, Dior went to Daniella, Versace went to Johnny, Madame Gres went to Merlin, Pucci went to James-Paul, and Halston went to Reco. And since I love Anna so much, naturally, I loved her strategy in giving her “enemies” the more difficult designs with their aesthetics.

Once again, the claws are coming out! Merlin and Reco were divalicious and were not afraid to voice their unhappiness with their assigned designers. Isaac and Kelly were equally diva-like when they were going around critiquing all of the designer’s outfits. It will definitely be interesting to see how the runway works out.

The guest judge this week was Peter Som, celebrity designer. The top designs from this week were Johnny, Daniella, and Anna. I actually liked Johnny’s design this week, but I thought it was too much like Versace and not enough of modernity and enough of Johnny. I loved Anna’s outfit and even though the judges didn’t like her jacket, I thought it was really cute. I don’t think people want to be exactly like Chanel because then they would be outdated so her addition of the color in the jacket was modern enough for me. Daniella’s outfit was interesting and I can definitely see her own aesthetic in there. The judges basically wrote off Anna’s design despite the fact that 84% of the audience thought it was well made. Johnny ended up winning and I guess I’m okay with that, even if it was a little copy-cat-ish.

The bottom two designers were Haven and Reco. Oh, fingers crossed that Reco goes home! In fact, 90% of the audience said they wouldn’t buy his dress. Reco was so frustrated and defeated and it was a little sad to see. But he just doesn’t understand what he did wrong. It’s like the same excuse as Angel not knowing what Hip Hop was. He had an example of a dress of Halston’s to see and be inspired from and he just made an excuse to not learn from it. Haven’s outfit was inspired but she didn’t execute it well. You could see her idea of what she wanted to achieve, but she didn’t know how to do it. I just know they are going to keep Reco because of his sob story even though I think Haven is a more fashion-forward and relevant designer. AND I was right. Stupid judges and stupid Reco with his crying and ignorance.

Let’s just move on to So You Think You Can Dance then, shall we?!


The show started with a fantastic group routine to Pitbull’s “Calle Ocho.” Who would have thought that you would see a fiery Latin and Hip Hop routine to Pitbull?! Well, Dimitri from Season 2 and Tabith and Napolean did an exceptional job choreographing that routine!

Can I just say, too, that only Cat Deely can pull off a silky halter jumpsuit! Gosh, she can certainly wear anything. Jealous! The show then went a little somber when Nigel discussed the deaths of Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson.

Asuka & Vitolio were the first couple to be sent to the Bottom 3. I can’t say I’m surprised by this but I don’t want them to go home. I like them both, but I wonder if I like them more as people than I do as dancers.

Once again, stupid Janette & Brandon were saved. Blah, blah. I can’t wait for them to go home. Maybe next week they will mess up. My faves Evan & Randi were also saved! Hooray! Fan favorites Janine & Phillip were saved next and I’m so glad!

The last couple remaining on the stage was Melissa & Ade and I can’t honestly believe that they would be in the bottom! They are too good! And they were safe! Yay!

The remaining three couples took the stage next. Of course, Karla & Jonathan were in the Bottom 3 after their dreadful Hip Hop routine. Kayla & Kūpono were saved next, leaving Caitlin & Jason in the Bottom 3. I think Caitlin & Jason will be fine since they both had fantastic solos last week. I love watching them dance!

The Rage Boys Dance Crew took the stage next to dance some Hip Hop and do a little B-Boy action. It was super cute seeing the little boys who couldn’t have been more than 6 or 7 years old! It was pretty cute!

Now it was time for the solos of the Bottom 3 guys and Bottom 3 girls. In my opinion, Caitlin was the best of the girls. She just knows how to give a good solo and put on display everything she is as a dancer. The guys all did really well on their solos. Jonathan did better than I thought he would with his solo and to me it was a pretty close call between Vitolio and Jason.

While the judges deliberated, The Veronicas performed. Meh. I admit, I completely fast-forwarded here! ;)

I was right about the girls and Caitlin was the first saved! Bless her heart, she didn’t even hear it when the judges told her she was safe. In the end, Asuka was sent home and I’m not too surprised. She didn’t seem to stand out as much when she wasn’t dancing ballroom. But I am sad to see a fellow Japanese girl go home. Jonathan was sent home for the guys and I’m not very surprised by this choice either. I liked him a lot but I agree that he wasn’t strong enough for the competition. I’m sad to him go, though. And yet again, this means another new couple: Karla & Vitolio.


Next up on Get Real, another tumultuous episode of The Bachelorette. Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment