Wednesday, June 3, 2009

If The Shoe Fits

Welcome back to Get Real! Up for today is The Fashion Show and more city auditions for So You Think You Can Dance!

First, a little update: I know I am extremely behind so just bear with me! This week has been nonstop but I will do my best to catch up and get back on schedule!

Now onto the real reason for all of this – the shows! First up is The Fashion Show!

The designers jumped right in to the Harper’s Bazaar challenge and the secret ingredient is…shoes! The designers needed to make a pattern for Olsen House shoes, which designs eco-friendly and vegan shoes. Reco went for a short boot, Keith was thinking of gardens, Johnny wanted to make a wedge and Merlin did his traditional mini leprechaun style. Reco and Daniella conspired with each other about Andrew’s skills.

Team Reco was the winner and I was totally expecting Anna to win…again! What is happening here? She is clearly the best person there and she keeps narrowly missing the win. AND gross Johnny was the winner. Eww.

Then the designers went on a field trip to Bergdorf Goodman. I was way jealous!! Just looking at those beautiful shoes made me wish I was not so clumsy and could wear heels all the time. The designers had to choose a pair of shoes that would be the inspiration for their entire outfit. Angel didn’t pick out a pair, so she was given a pair of gorgeous Stella McCartneys.

And perhaps the biggest surprise of the night…the designers would now be working as individuals!

Reco, oh, Reco. I will not let him live down his stripper designer past. And why should I when he chooses some YSL boots that are like a chain-linked fence. Maybe they will be suitable for Pamela Anderson in Barbed Wire. Eww times two. Plus, I am not happy with his major ego.

I am completely rooting for Angel but I don’t understand why she can never seem to finish her garments. It’s frustrating when she clearly has good ideas and can’t see them through.

The guest judge for this week was George Malkemus, president for Manolo Blahnik USA. The judges raved over the runway and loved that the designers expressed their own styles. The three best looks were Angel, Daniella, and Reco.

I still hate Reco and his design, but I can see that his design is fashion forward. It’s something Lady GaGa would wear and if she wore it I would like it. I like Daniella’s dress and I can see that her design style is a little dark and rock. And I am so happy that Angel was in the top because I love her dress! I think she should have won but instead it was stupid Reco. For the third time, eww.


Now for the bottom two. Lidia’s overambitious design played her no favors and Andrew’s inability to design for himself showed here. Ultimately, the Pantiechrist went home.

Now, onto So You Think You Can Dance!
Joining Mary and Nigel in LA was Adam Shankman, director of the Hairspray remake. Bianca Revels, last year’s tap sensation who just barely missed out on the Top 20 came back to LA to prove that she still has what it takes. She was sent straight to Vegas and I am thinking that her journey on last season was proof enough that she didn’t need to go to the choreography round.

Next was a brother-sister pair that was just too couply for me. They were constantly holding hands and were way too comfortable with each other. Ugh, awkward!

Asuka Kondoh and Ricky Sun were back again as the unique Asian pair in International ballroom. They are super cute and I love seeing some Asians out there! Some other great modern dancers and a “naughty” ballerina also made it straight to Vegas along with Asuka and Ricky.

The last dancer on Day One in LA was a young guy named Nathan Trasoras. Ok, I know nothing about dancing but he was just beautiful! I almost wanted to cry while watching him. The only bad side? He’s only 17 so he ineligible for this season. Ahh! I sincerely hope he comes back next season.

A cute young redhead (faux) named Sammy was next and he was fantastic! I don’t understand how people doing isolation or popping, especially this guy! He was so so good! He was moved to the choreography round and all the judges, including myself, were hoping that he would be good enough to make it to Vegas. So, did he do well enough?? Yes! Hooray!

The auditions then moved to Seattle and the third judge on the panel was the fantastic Mia Michaels. Ok, I am just going to make a prediction right now that Seattle is not going to be a good audition city. From a rude b-boy to the couple who mixed argentine tango, swing, and international tango, it sure is starting out bad!

Finally, someone good! Kelsea Taylor came out and was like the younger sister of Mark from last season! She totally belongs in any piece choreographed by Sonya! She was so quirky and strange and lovely! She was sent to choreography and I hope she does well! And, thankfully, she did!

It seems like things are looking up for the Seattle auditions after Kelsea, which is good for both the judges and for me! There was a great Hawaiian guy whose name is way too complicated to even try to pronounce! Lots of people along with the Hawaiian guy were sent to choreography but no one has yet be sent straight to Vegas.

I won’t even comment on the Leo vs. Sex battle. If you are interested, you can google it yourself.

Next up on Get Real, the next episode of The Bachelorette. Stay tuned :)

1 comment: