Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reality TV Rewind...Part Deux

Welcome back to Get Real! We are finally at The Fashion Show and the Top 20 on So You Think You Can Dance!

Before the suspense of this summer’s Top 20, it’s time for The Fashion Show!

Once again, Reco was on his high horse and thinking that he was the best and that things should go his way. I sincerely hope that he messes up this week and goes home!

During the Harper’s Bazaar mini challenge, the designers were told that they needed to pay attention to detail. They were given a very intricate piece from one of Issac’s own lines and they needed to recall all of the details from memory and create a sketch of the dress – but not Isaac’s dress! They were supposed to sketch Kelly’s dress! Uh…I don’t even remember what she was wearing! Yet another reason why I couldn’t be a designer. I fail.

Johnny, Daniella, and Lidia were called out as the best representations of the dress. Daniella walked away with the win and I was just so glad that gross Johnny didn’t get it! So what was her win? She would get to place one of her other designer’s in the bottom three during decision time! What?! Ooh, we are gonna see Diva Daniella come out!

Then the designers made their way to New York Model Management. But the designers weren’t going to be designing for models. They were going to design for real women. Hmm, what a concept!

I was pretty disappointed with the way some of the designers reacted. It’s not even like they were completely heavy set – they still had good figures and sizes! And stupid James-Paul was freaking out like none other! I personally liked the challenge – they needed to hide the womens’ flaws while flaunting their assets. This is every girl’s dream to get a custom outfit to fit them perfectly! Thankfully, there were designers like Angel and Keith who embraced the challenge.

AND as expected, Daniella became a major drama queen and was complaining left and right about her model and the challenge. Here’s a hint: grow a pair and become a designer! Gheesh!

Joining the standard judges was Rebecca Weinberg, a stylist on Sex and the City. The two best designs were Reco and Daniella. I must admit that I liked Reco’s design, as much as I hate to say it. I’m surprised that Daniella was able to pull it off since she was having such a major breakdown earlier. Maybe she finally learned her lesson and will stop being a fashion-school snob! And she was lucky to be the winner of the challenge, marking her second win of the season so far.

Perhaps Daniella felt karma coming back to bite her in the butt as she had to choose a designer to be in the bottom three. She surprisingly chose Angel when I was sure she would have selected Merlin. Though, not surprisingly, Merlin made it in the bottom of his own accord. I have to wonder whether or not Angel would have been in the bottom without Daniella’s vote. The judges definitely didn’t like her dress but she was fabulous last week. Merlin’s dress was horrible but he could have done worse in Merlin’s standards. Rounding out the bottom three was Keith and his dress was incredibly uninspiring.

Keith was sent home and wonderful Angel was saved! Hooray. Now I don’t have to completely hate Daniella like I would have if Angel would have gone home. I am sad, though, that Keith went home since I think he could have been really good.

Now for the most anticipated moment of my summer thus far…the Top 20 of So You Think You Can Dance!

Though most of the episode was just the judges revealing the Top 20, there were definitely some surprises. First was Mia and Lil C proclaiming their dislike of Brandon up front even though he made it to the Top 20.

Most heart wrenching was seeing Alex Wong miss out on the Top 20 because he was under contract with a ballet company in Miami. I was so torn apart by this! He was clearly one of the best dancers, if not the best male dancer of the competition and for him not to be in the Top 20 is heart breaking. I just can’t believe it and I am slightly resentful of the artistic director of the Miami Ballet Company for not letting him out of his contract.

Equally sad was the splitting of the Broadway brothers. Evan, the younger of the brothers, prevailed and made it to the Top 20. It was hard to see Ryan go but I hope, hope, hope that he comes back next year because he is wonderful!

So, my most anticipated moment of reality TV this summer is complete!

Next up on Get Real, the latest episode of The Bachelorette! Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment