Wednesday, October 28, 2009

new pairs, new dances, new moves

So You Think You Can Dance is doing things a little diferent this season.


First, there was a performance show Monday night to "get to know the contestants" better and see who got paired with who. My DVR somehow missed that and I'm kinda glad for it. That just means that I will be surprised tonight by the pairings!

Also, because of the MLB World Series, the first two weeks mean no results shows and voting for your favorites. I like this new sped up process! So, after the Top 20 perform tonight, two dancers will be going home.

Hmm, this just seems so weird to be watching this in October and not July. And now Adam Shankman is a permanent judge which means some longwinded critiques for sure!

Now, onto the first pairing...Channing & Phillip. Ugh, I hate Phillip. He seems worse than Brandon from last season in terms of arrogance. I hate looking at his face!! Choreography Jason Gilkison had his work cut out for him by teaching this pair the Jive. There was just no chemistry with this pair, though I think Channing did well with it and looked like a cute little bird. Okay...next!

Ashleigh & Jakob came next with a sultry Broadway rutine. I know that Ashleigh always fell into her husband Ryan's shadow but I've always liked her! And thye got to work with Tyce Diorio! This definitely was one of Tyce's more toned down danced but I loved it! This is a power couple for sure.

The next couple is Ariana & Peter. She seems a little boring and blah while Peter is an unconventional tapper. Ooh, but they have a Hip Hop routine by NappyTabs! Hmm, well, in my opinion, he did a lot better but she was not so convincing. I think Ariana is completely forgettable but Peter has some chance at going much farther.

Noelle & Russell were the next couple, but complications arose for them from the beginning. Noelle injured herself this week so she can't compete. And they had a Foxtrot by Tony Meredith to tackle. So, in Noelle's place, Tony's partner, Melanie, danced with Russell. I think it would only be fair to send Noelle home tonight due to her injury. Russell, on the other hand, was very surprising in this dance and did quite well.

Following them was Bianca & Victor. Now, she is great, but Victor is a little unknown in this competition so far. Oh, gosh, but they have a Travis Wall Contemporary piece!! Oh, this better be good and live up to Travis's genius. Ah, it was so good!!! Everything that a Travis Wall piece should be.

Hmm, unknown couple Karen & Kevin had a Cha Cha with Tony Meredith this week. She seems like an over-the-top ballroom diva and Kevin is a model who dances. BUT they danced to Push It from the Glee cast!! Honestly, I think the Glee cast could have danced this better than this pair and sang it at the same time! Not impressed at all. Ugh, and she was on the Hot Tamale Train. Come on, Mary! Do not let her be this season's Janette.

Ellenore & Ryan had a Contemporary routine from Sonya! Ugh, I like Ellenore until she started getting all cocky on us. You should watch your words, miss, and not seems so much like an expert on dance already. It was a good routine, though. Great, in fact. I just wish it hadn't been ruined for me by stupid Ellenore's arrogance.

The newest couple, Pauline & Brandon, took on a Smooth Waltz from Jason Gilkison. Now, I say newest couple because Brandon just recently joined the Top 20 after front runner Billy Bell had to back out due to poor health. And Pauline, if you remember, didn't even perofmr the last two rounds in Vegas week due to an injured ankle. So, there is a lot going against this couple. Well, they certainly had chemistry and it was super cute to watch. But, it wasn't completely up to par for the judges.

Kathryn & Legacy went primal with a Dave Scott Hip Hop routine. Oh, this was fantastic! So creative with the caveman theme and so well danced by the pair of them. This is probably my favorite couple of the season so far!! I have always loved Legacy and now I love him even more. And Kathryn really surprised me. Love it!!!

Last for the night was my fave boy ever, Nathan, and his partner, the sweetly annoying Mollee. And they had the dreaded Disco from Doriana Sanchez. Gosh, it was so fast and just jammed with tricks and lifts. I don't know how they did it! And they have to be the youngest pairing this season so for them to do a Disco seemed strange. But it was awesome! They may be my second favorite couple.

Now the judges needed to nominate two guys and two girls to dance for their lives. They called out Ariana, Brandon, Pauline, and Russell. Not too surprised by any of these choices and I really hope that Ariana goes home. She's a bore-fest! And I want Brandon to get another chance in this competition.

No surprise, Ariana's solo was boring and predictable. Russell killed it in traditional Krumping style. Loved it! Pauline didn't wow in her solo and I feel like she is way better than that. Oh, I just loved Brandon's solo! I want him to stay!

Hmm, I was right! Miss Boring, Ariana, was sent home. I can't belive that she would have made it to the Top 20 over Ashleigh! Ah, bummer. Brandon got sent home but I thought that Nigel's quest to allow him to come back next season was very fair and nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment