Rick Moonen served as the guest judge this week and introduced the first ever Tag Team Quick Fire Challenge. To test their teamwork, of course. Upon drawing knives, the cheftestants relaized that they were all blank. But Jennifer's said First Choice and Michael V.'s said Second Choice. Jennifer chose Kevin, Mike I., and Laurine while Michael V. chose his brother Bryan, Eli, and was stuck with Robin.
Oh man, this seems impossible! All four chefs on a team had to create a dish and they would only have a few minutes each. And they were not allowed to discuss the dish and while they weren't cooking, the other chefs had to remain blindfolded! This certainly seemed challenging for the chefs and I don't know which team will win. Jennifer's Team won and they had the chance to split $10,000 for the High Stakes Challenge or "let it ride" to each win $10,000 if they won the Elimination Challege, which is...
Restaurant Wars!! Jennifer's team decided not to do a dessert because none of them felt confident with it and I think that's a fair choice. The Voltaggio brothers definitely had some tension between them and sharing a team with Robin didn't help matters for them and Eli! This will really be interesting to see how things turn out in the kitchens.
Each team had to have a front of house person. Jennifer's team went with Laurine and the Voltaggio team went with Eli. The Voltaggio restaurant was named REVOLT, for Robin, Eli, VOLTaggio. It was interesting, but the judges were not so impressed with the name. Turns out Robin was right in thinking that the name brought to mind revolting. The first dish did pretty well with the judges, particularly Michael V.'s chicken, but they struggled to get out the 2nd dish in a timely manner. But once it game out, Michael's second dish wowed again. Too bad his attitude in the kitchen didn't wow his teammates. Thankfully for this team, their desserts turned out well and they may not fall under the curse of desserts during Restaurant Wars.
Jennifer's team called themselves Mission to represent simplicity and refinement. When the guests arrived, both kitchens were a little behind and not ready to serve people. Laurine's hostess skills weren't too great and the judges definitely took note. Once again, the second course came out late, but it seemed to be more of an issue than the last team. Jennifer was responsible for the two main fish dishes and the judges were not happy with these dishes. Kevin struggled with the heat of the lamb but he did well with the pork dish. And while the team thought it was a good idea not to include a dessert, the judges found themselves missing that dish. I think it's pretty clear that this team will lose.
The REVOLT restaurant crew was called out first, which meant good news for them. Toby made sure to comment on their name and the fact that Eli was clearly underdressed as the front of house manager. But all of the chefs were praised for their dishes. Michael V. ended up being the winner and I completely agree. His dishes were amazing, well, from what I could tell, that is! He won a signed copy of Rick Moonen's book, as well as the $10,000 that the Blue Team gambled from the Quick Fire Challenge. He chose to split the money with his team.
Now for the losing Mission restaurant. I think that Laurine will be sent home because her dish wasn't super great and she was a horrible hostess. No one on the team escaped critcism. Man, just when I thought that Jennifer was back on the top of her game, she does this and risks being sent home! While the other team was touted as the best restaurant in the history of Restaurant Wars, I think this team could be the worst! Thankfully, Laurine was sent home and I agree. While I don't like Mike Isabella, I didn't want Kevin or Jennifer to go home because they are just too good.
I can't wait for next week when Natalie Portman guest stars!



No comments:
Post a Comment